Tomorrow is Earth Day 2019 and you’re here reading this because you’re wondering what you can do to help make a difference. Lucky for you, I’ve compiled a list of ideas for how you can live greener.
- Turn off the faucet when you’re brushing your teeth. The sink doesn’t need to run the whole time and it’s a waste of water.
- Take shorter showers. I know it feels good to stand under a nice hot shower and let it wash your day away but at what cost? Again, another huge waste of water.
- Turn off the lights when you aren’t in the room.
- Turn your air conditioner off when you aren’t home in the summer. No need to keep an empty house cold, and it saves energy.
- Same goes for winter. No need to keep an empty house warm.
- Recycle everything you can, and do it properly. Know what can go in the bin so you don’t contaminate the whole load.
- Compost everything you can. If you don’t live in an area with municipal composting, you can set up an at home compost bin in your yard.
- Walk or bike anywhere you can. If you don’t need to drive somewhere, don’t. Fuel emissions are gross.
- Don’t litter. I know, this one is obvious, but I feel like I should say it.
- Pick up litter. Join a street clean up group or a stream clean up group. If you can’t find one, organize one.
- If you get something with plastic rings like cans of soda, cut them up before discarding so there are no closed rings for small animals to get stuck in.
- Bring your own reusable bags to the grocery store.
- Get a bamboo toothbrush. They’re compostable, and it’s one less single use plastic being thrown away.
- Try solid soaps and shampoos. Brands like Lush and Ethique have loads of sustainably packaged skin and hair care products. Think of how many plastic toiletry bottles you go through in a year.
- Reusable zip lock bags and lunch containers.
- Reusable water bottles.
- Compostable plastics. These won’t compost in a backyard bin, but municipal composting facilities can often handle them.
- Avoid products with palm oil. It’s in A LOT of stuff. It’s in foods, soaps, makeup, cleaning products, lotions, and more. Take a second to look at the ingredients. Palm plantations are destroying delicate tropical ecosystems. Many endangered species are losing their home.
Let me know your favorite tips for green living!